Friday, August 03, 2007



I've been Rock and Mountain climbing for the last 10 years. I became interested in it while on holiday in Jackson Hole, Wyoming at a small indoor climbing gym. Now living in Japan where 80% of the land is mountains there is endless opertunity for adventure. So I've decided to attempt the Hyakumeizan.

In 1964 the a mountaineer named Fukada Kyuya wrote a book called Nihon Hyakumeizan in
which he recommended 'Japan's 100 Great Mountains'. He had apparently climbed over 1000 mountains in Japan but these were the ones he rated highest.
Most of the mountains will be climbed either solo or with my wife Haruna. My goal is to climb them without the use of ski-lifts. (most people who claim to have climbed the hyakumeizan have used the ski lifts that are on many of the mountains)

12 down 88 to go! get that victory cigar ready! Haa!

score 6 = max